Yikes! We are amidst the depths of winter, but here in the Seattle area it feels like spring! The daily high temperature is pushing the mid fifties, and already my food (which is being kept cold by being stored outside) is being effected.
So how do I preserve the life of my food without a fridge and without cold weather?
It is time to salt cure.
Salt curing was the only way to preserve meat up until the 19th century. Salt inhibits the growth of microorganisms by drawing water out of microbial cells through osmosis. Concentrations of salt up to 20% are required to kill most species of unwanted bacteria.
So here we go, I've started salt curing my meat.
Most of the life of the existence of man was lived not even knowing what a refrigerator was. Most of my life I did not know I could preserve food without a refrigerator. This newly found knowledge is sort of exciting....
(Picture below featuring Sea Breeze Farm Pork Rib Chop, Sirloin Chop and Beef Chuck Eye Steaks.)

No comments:
Post a Comment